Friday, July 13, 2007

Natural Dye Reds ---Brazilwood





My dyepot is warm and happy. It has some fruitful days ahead. And it started out its work yesterday with a little handful of Brazilwood sawdust, from which came the lovely colors above.

First is the alum mordanted Romney wool. This color is not something I would call red, but more of a deep rose color. Nonetheless as it is rich and beautiful, and on the right side of the spectrum for my purposes. The picture doesn't do the depth of this color justice.

The unmordanted bamboo turned out a lavender pink shade that is a perfect match to the flowers in our front yard.

There was plenty of color left in the dyepot, and so I have added annatto to the Brazilwood bath, more fiber, and tomorrow we shall see what comes of it.

1 comment:

tapetes said...

I have found some absolutely gorgeous yarn that is 100% Lincoln wool. The colors take to this wool with a luster that is unreal. I found it at the following site www.tapetesdelana.com
It is the greatest for natural dyes.