Friday, June 15, 2007

Sweet Sixteen



My baby sister turns sixteen today, and I made socks for the occasion. These are Jaywalkers with a few modifications, mostly accidental, some purposeful. (Sigh. If you want to view perfect knitting, you will have to read some other blog) In the past I have made two socks on two circs, so that I can make sure that the socks match, and having made these with #2 dpns I have confirmed the value in that. But I still like the dpns better. Made in Knitpicks Bare Merino, koolaid dyed.

I was in college studying for an anatomy test on the skeletal system when I heard that I was going to have a new sibling. It was hard to study that night! After she was born, I carried her picture with me everywhere, my cute chubby-cheeked baby sister with red hair. Now she is almost as old as I was then, and taller (she credits this to completely abstaining from coffee) Happy happy Birthday, Merrianna!

I have cast on for another pair of socks already, working on spinning yarn for another for dh, both for his upcoming birthday. I am finishing the spinning on the Dandy Lions yarn, and have moved to the Barebones spindle for this. I have stopped fearing to put in too much twist, and it is turning out much more even now. Thank you to everyone who gave me advice on it!

We have been out of town, so my posting should be more regular now that I am back.

1 comment:

Craig Mutton said...

Psalm 139:13 says, "Thou hast covered (lit., entwined) me in my mother's womb. It is wonderful to reminisce on the birth of each of our daughters and to realize that God entwined them -- spun them as yarn, if you will -- before their birth.

In verse 15 the Psalmist says, "My substance was not hid from Thee when I was made in secret and curiously wrought (or embroidered). . . ."

What a marvelous work our Lord has done in all our daughters' lives. What father could not be thankful for the manifest Christian womanhood that shines from warp and woof of their character.

MacAvram