Thursday, July 31, 2008

Pretty is as Pretty Does: A Wheel of My Own




She's smooth, she's versatile, she is just what I need. She's not picky or demanding, and for a wheel, she's fairly independent. The sound of her is like dragonfly wings, so quiet.....

My friend Cary, who is a Louet dealer, brought her yesterday. (Cary has also tagged me for a meme..... must get to that!)

Julia is no spindle. With a spindle, I know how fast to start it spinning, how to draft, what weight to choose to get the yarn I want. With the wheel, smooth as she is, the adjustments are different, and I have a lot to learn. But I did manage to turn out one very soft and uneven two-ply bit of Diamond's 19 micron alpaca. Does it look soft to you? Well, it is softer yet.

It will be a pleasure to learn on this stuff.

3 comments:

Cary ~ My Wool Mitten at Serenity Farms said...

Congratulations, Donna, I wondered how you and Julia were getting on ;)

You are a natural at spinning and it won't be long till that wheel feels like second nature to you! Can't wait to see more yarn (and can't believe that even though I had the camera with me during our visit, I didn't get a picture - AGAIN! LOL)

Knit and fall back in it said...

Just beautiful!!

Anonymous said...

WOOOT!! Congratulations! And I'm with Cary; as brilliant as you are, you and Julia are going to do just fine. :-)